Sunday, January 6, 2013

HIV and Mental Health

Whenever I see campaigns for HIV/AIDS awareness, whether it be on television or online it never seems to focus on mental health. It mainly focuses on prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS. Don't get me wrong, it is extremely important that we educate about HIV prevention and treatment, but it seems a lot of times those messages are going unheard. Or ads using scare tactics by showing how sick HIV can make someone. How can someone focus on prevention and treatment for themselves if they don't have sound mental health? If they have any issues with self worth and loving oneself, then why would they care about prevention and treatment?

I'm biased on this issue, as poor mental health played a huge role in why I contracted HIV. I recently went through a four month group therapy program, it did wonders for me. For me I had a shaky childhood. When I was seven my drunk neighbour physically assaulted me, because I locked him out of his house when we were having a water fight. When I was around seven or eight I woke up to my Mom and Dad fighting. My Dad was drunk - as per usual - and was yelling he was going to kill himself. My Mom yelled to my sister to hide the knives, my Dad grabbed his shotgun and threatened to shoot himself. My sister called the police, and the SWAT team showed up. Not a very nice experience for a seven year old. After my Mom left my Dad she was very depressed. She dealt with it by ordering us fast food all the time and working from five a.m to eight at night. She would watch t.v and then go right to bed. She was miserable. My sister dealt with it by getting involved with the wrong crowd of people, she got involved in crime. There's nothing like having to visit your sister in the young offenders centre. My brother dealt with it by getting a job and moving out. I was all alone, I basically had to raise myself. I had no one to teach me how to cook, how to deal with my feelings, how to live a healthy life. I had no one to go to when I was being bullied at school. I was alone. When I was twelve, I was in a washroom in a mall and was raped by a man in the bathroom stall. I didn't have anyone to tell, I ended up becoming very sexual and put myself in dangerous sexual situations after that, all the time. I felt that it was my fault that I was raped and hated myself for it.

This set the stage for my adolescence and adulthood. I am a true believer, that our childhood, our environment and experiences shape us an adult. Whenever I was feeling bad about myself, I would turn to sex to get rid of those feelings. If I was feeling unwanted and lonely, I would turn to sex to feel wanted. This all started after I was raped at the age of twelve. This followed me into adulthood. I wrote in a previous post, that the effect of having sex to cover my feelings would start to wear off. So I went from just having oral sex, to anal sex with condoms, then having sex with multiple men in a night, to having sex with no condoms and so on. Trying to chase that illusive high to get rid of those feelings I had. In the end I was punishing myself. It's no surprise to me that I contracted HIV. I had no self worth, I didn't know how to love myself.

I truly believe if people valued themselves, if they had self worth, there would be way less HIV infections. When we know that having unprotected sex can lead to contracting HIV, and there are so many people engaging in unprotected sex, can you say that they truly love themselves? Can you say that they have a high sense of self worth? I doubt it. If someone is perfectly mentally healthy, they love oneself, they value themselves, then wouldn't instinct kick in? Wouldn't a persons need for self preservation stop one self from engaging in such a risky behaviour. A behaviour that could potentially kill oneself. I am constantly working on changing my negative behaviours. I am not perfect. Sometimes I slip up. Sometimes I feel down and have turned to sex or food to get rid of those feelings. But the difference is, that is happening less frequently. One of the important things I learned was that, I am going to make mistakes, I will slip up and that's okay. I am trying to change decades worth of behaviour. That won't happen over night.

I don't write this to say that we need to divert all our attention to mental health issues, in particular mental health and HIV. I write this in the hopes of starting a discussion. Mental Health is just one of the many issues involved with HIV. Hopefully one day soon we can get ahold of this disease, hopefully we can beat this disease. Until then, let's help each other out, share our experiences, and do the best we can. Let's learn to love ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. I am reading a book called "What Do Gay Men Want" by David M. Halperin, I got it on Amazon. I am half through it. It's an interesting, although sometimes verbose, essay.

    One interesting idea of that book is to frame risky behavior in non-psychological and non-psychoanalytic terms. The reason being that psychoanalytic and psychological discourse is very "norming", so it embeds in its own structure the idea that people outside the mainstream are less worthy. It makes it very hard if not impossible to analyze and fix "self-worth" issues. It's also an hyperlogical way of thinking: you either are fully in control of your thoughts, or you're unable to control yourself. We know nowadays that no one is fully present, that most of our behavior is automatic and any strategy that relies on rationality when we're being driven by a different driver of behavior is prone to slippages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that, that's an interesting take on it. I will have to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete