Thursday, December 6, 2012

Group Therapy Post #3 - One Step at a Time

It's Valentines Day. Fucking happy people in their fucking happy relationships. I choose to believe they are pretending to be happy. I see a couple walking, holding hands, smiling at each other, I want to vomit. Secretly, I choose to believe they hate each other and get into fist fights every night, no one can truly be that happy. I find it easier to judge others and be angry at others than deal with my own issues.

The walls are supposed to be white, they look like they haven't been cleaned in years. The chair I am sitting in is extremely uncomfortable. A butt plug with spikes on it would be more comfortable in my ass than this chair I am sitting in. Maybe these chairs are part of the process, if they make you angry enough and you go postal they commit you. I am sitting in the waiting room of the Psychiatry clinic at the hospital. I am here for the assessment. Am I Bipolar? What if I am? It would explain my crazy mood swings, but I don't go days on end with no sleep. I love sleep! Sometimes I sleep for 16 hours. If I am sleeping I don't have to think about my horrible life. If I am sleeping I don't feel the pain, the sadness. If I am sleeping I don't have to think about the dark gloomy cloud hanging over me. If I am sleeping, I can hide. It's 8:15 am, the assessment doesn't start until 8:30 am. There are a few other people in the waiting room with me. One person in particular stands out. I look over and in the corner sits a man, looks like he is in his late twenties maybe early thirties. He looks exhausted, like he hasn't slept in days. He has dark brown hair and his face is stubbly. He looks miserable, I feel sad for him. 8:30 am finally rolls around and the receptionist pulls back the beige partition that closes the receptionist desk. Looking at the beige partition it just confirms that they haven't done any renovations since 1985. The receptionist says anyone here for the assessment, please come here and sign in. I leap out of my seat and rush to the receptionist desk. I want my name to be first on the list, I want to be out of here as soon as possible. She hands me a clipboard with papers to fill out. When I first called the clinic they told me the assessment would take between 2-3 hours. Looking at how many pages I fill out, I might be here all week. My anxiety is through the roof. I sit back down and nervously wait for my name to be called. I start filling out the paper work.  My brain is running a mile a minute. Why am I here I think to myself? Is that what they are going to ask me? I am here because I am severely depressed all the time, I am stressed out, I have anxiety, I can be super happy and hyper then go back into a deep depression. But why? Why am I like this? I don't fucking know. I guess if I knew I wouldn't be here. Jesus I'm crazy. I really wish I had a giant iced cappuccino right now. When my anxiety is running through me I like to eat and drink unhealthy. I sit in this torture chair and think to myself, I can run away. I don't have to do this. What are they going to do? Probably just increase my anti-depressants. Tell me it's all in my head. 

Jared, please come with me I hear. Fuck it's now or never. I stand up and look at the person who called my name. It's a man, he looks nice, hair a little weird, probably in his 40's. Fuck it, I have nothing to lose, I follow him. He takes me to his office and tells me to have a seat. His office is depressing. It's small, it also looks like it is from 1985 and the lighting is brutal. He says his name is Bob and he is one of the therapists at the clinic. He starts off by asking what brings me here. I reply with I keep going through bad bouts of depression. As the years go on the bouts get worse and last longer. I went to my family doctor and told him I can go from being super depressed to really hyper, happy with a positive outlook on life and that it is mentally exhausting. I said my family doctor felt like that sounded like Bipolar but he isn't an expert in that and advised I should see a psychiatrist. Bob replied with do you go days on end without any sleep? I said no I don't, but all my life I have always slept more that normal. I tell him when I was a baby my Dad told me I slept so much that he would panic and wake me up to feed me. Your not Bipolar if you don't go days on end without sleep, he says. He proceeds to ask me many questions. I am pissed off that he dismissed the Bipolar disorder so quickly. If I'm not Bipolar then what am I? There has to be a reason, why I am like this? 

He asks me what my childhood was like. I tell him I was bullied a lot in school. He asks why I was bullied? I replied with I was a dork and people liked to pick on me. Also people would say I'm weak and call me a faggot. I mention that in gym class some of the boys would take my clothes and soak them in the shower so I would have to walk around in my gym clothes all day. He asks me are you gay? I said yes I am. He asks how do you handle feeling depressed? I replied I normally would hide in my room and sleep. I will sleep anywhere from 10 to 16 hours. When I am not sleeping, I will eat fast food, drink pop, slurpees, iced capps. I will have sex, a lot of sex. He asks you can be quite promiscuous? I said yes.  He asks, I see you put on the form you have HIV? Yes I do, I was diagnosed March 1st 2010. How has that been for you? he asks. It hasn't been easy, I say. I am angry with myself for getting HIV. He asks me what I would like to get out of therapy? I struggle to find an answer. I say I just want to be happy, I want to learn coping mechanisms to deal with the depression, anxiety and stress. He says do you know why you go into bad depressions? I said I don't know, I just do. I hate life most of the time. He asks, have you heard of the saying, don't cry over spilled milk? I reply yes. He asks me what does that mean to you? Don't sweat the small things I say. He asks me have you heard of the saying the river runs deep? Yes I say. He says I think with you, the river runs deep, very deep. He mentions to me that they have a program, call the Evening Treatment Program. It is a group therapy program, it is very intensive, it runs for 18 and a half weeks. It's requires quite a bit of commitment. It looks at your childhood and how it's impacted you. Is this something you would be interested in doing? I said yes if you think it can really help me. He said well let me talk to the Psychiatrist and review your file with her and we will meet with you at 10:30 am? That’s about an hour and a half away so if you like, you can go grab breakfast, just make sure you’re in the waiting room for 10:30 am. I said okay sounds good. I walk out of the office, down the hallway and exit the psychiatric clinic. I let out a huge sigh of relief. I say to myself, good job Jared, I'm glad I did this. Even though I am glad I came here, my anxiety is still through the roof. 

I walk across the street to Tim Horton’s and get a breakfast sandwich and a giant iced capp. I sit down and take my first sip of the iced capp. The sugary, creamy, coffee flavour hits my tongue, slides down my throat. Ahhhh so good. I'm nervous about meeting with the Psychiatrist. I've never met with a Psychiatrist before; I have heard mixed reviews from people about Psychiatrists. It seems sometimes you get someone who cares and sometimes you just get a dick head. I really liked the Bob guy, he seemed like he really cared. In the assessment he asked me if I wanted to stop being promiscuous and have a committed relationship. I looked at him embarrassed and said yes, but I'm too scared. Why would someone want to be with me if I am so messed up? I sit in Tim Horton’s, drinking my iced capp, staring out the window, thinking about my meeting with Bob. What the fuck has brought me here? Seriously, what has happened that I get so depressed? Why does life have to be so fucking hard? 

It's time for me to meet with the Psychiatrist. My heart is ready to jump out of my chest. I'm sitting in the waiting room, waiting for Bob. He shows up and asks me to come with him. I walk behind him down the hallway. We go around the corner and into the office. It's a woman Psychiatrist this relives me. I prefer a woman to a man, except for Bob, there is something about him that makes me feel instantly comfortable with him. The Psychiatrist introduces herself and asks me to take a seat. I go to sit down and I fall into the chair, holy crap this chair is low I say. She starts asking me some of the same questions Bob asked me. Why am I here? What has been going on? What happens when I feel depressed? She asks me about the stress at work and why I am on Short Term Disability leave. She tells me that the 50 mg a day of Zoloft I am on is a really low dose, that we should increase it to 100 mg a day. I am fine with that I say. She tells me to take 75 mg a day for two weeks and then 100 mg a day going forward. She asks me how I found out about the Psychiatric/Therapy clinic. I told her I had an appointment with my family doctor, and how he thought maybe I was Bipolar and he mentioned there was walk in clinics at the U of A and Royal Alex. So I researched it online, came across the U of A one, called and then came in. She asks me questions to figure out if I am Bipolar. She says the same thing as Bob, I don't go days on end with no sleep so it doesn't sound like Bipolar. She agrees with Bob's recommendation, that the Evening Treatment Program would be beneficial for me, to figure out the core issues related to my depression and to work through the feelings. She says she will forward my information to the Evening Treatment Team and they will contact me to setup an appointment to meet with them. I leave the clinic with my prescription of Zoloft and a follow up appointment with Bob next week. I am scared but also looking forward to getting past this depression. I go home exhausted and sleep for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment