Monday, December 3, 2012

Medications

I just took my HIV medications, as I normally do every night, around this time. After I downed the third pill, I sat there, staring at the prescription bottles. I realized how fortunate I am. Yes I have a horrible disease. Yes the disease isn't a "death sentence" anymore, BUT it's still a very serious disease that kills too many people. At the same time how lucky am I, I only have to take three pills a day to control the disease. In my province where I live, they pay for my medications. I don't pay a cent - in the beginning I had a lot of guilt over this. But as I went through group therapy and explored my issues, my mental health and childhood, I realized getting HIV wasn't black or white. It was a lot more complicated than just saying "I did it to myself." As I ramble on, my point is, I hate having this horrible disease but at the same time I an consider myself fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment